Am I entitled to Tax-Tree childcare? Discovering Tax-free childcare

Updated: Dec 17, 2019

Great news! The government is introducing new ways to help parents with childcare costs.

One of the schemes you could benefit from is Tax-free Childcare.

This is a great scheme if you’re a working parent with children under 12. The government will pay up 20% of your childcare costs (up to £2000 per annum). You can open an online account for your child, and for every £8 you pay in, the government will pay £2. Of course, like everything there is a criteria you need to meet in order to be eligible and also, your childcare provider must be Ofsted registered.

You, and any partner, must each expect to earn (on average) at least £125 per week (equal to 16 hours at the National Minimum or Living Wage).

If you, or your partner, are on maternity, paternity or adoption leave, or you’re unable to work because you are disabled or have caring responsibilities, you could still be eligible.

You can’t get Tax-Free Childcare if either you, or your partner, each individually expect to earn £100,000 or more.

You can use Tax-Free Childcare all year round to help pay:

Registered childminders, nurseries and nannies

Registered after-school clubs and playschemes

Registered schools

Home careworkers working for a registered home care agency

You can use Tax-Free Childcare at the same time as:

15 hours free childcare30 hours free childcare

You can’t use it with:

Universal CreditTax Credits

Childcare Vouchers (closed to new entrants)

You can check what help you are eligible for or you can apply via the government website.

5 views0 comments